What Does An SEO Consultant Do?What Is A SEO Specialist: SEO Job Description, Tasks and Responsibilities, Requirements, Job Profile
SEO CONSULTANT JOB DESCRIPTION | What does an SEO Consultant do?
The search engine optimization consultant job description, or SEO Consultants job description, is to analyze, review, improve websites and search engine results performance, and incoming links as a critical part in conveying expert advice, guidance, actionable tasks, and recommendations that enable business owners to earn more natural search engine traffic, qualified business leads, and higher search engine ranking positions, which lead to more website clicks and qualified search engine traffic.
The job description of SEO Consultants and for WordPress SEO Consultants has transformed to include sophisticated skill requirements focusing upon content strategy and semantic keyword focus. There is a new set of job deliverables required to create informational, unique, exceptional content along with better user experiences. The SEO Consultant job description requires strategic, analytical, integrative, tactical, and critical thinking skills to optimize interrelationships between social media, content quality scoring, cornerstone content (long-form content), user intent, extreme competition, and user behavior all-while paying close attention to the endless onslaught of Google search engine algorithm updates and online competition.
WHAT IS SEO CONSULTING: SEO Job Description Tasks and Responsibilities
SEO consulting duties, responsibilities, and job descriptions include complexity that involves a wide spectrum of marketing disciplines and internet marketing channels. What has remained constant over time is the need to: achieve higher Google search engine rankings and Google visibility for clients, to get more content discovered online to generate business leads and complete call-to-actions, create lasting results through informative and evergreen content while improving customer conversion rates.
SEO industry industry jargon, trends, and best practices creeping into the SEO Job Description and being written about in reputable industry blogs include disciplines such as Natural Language Processing | Influencer Outreach Marketing | Google BERT Algorithm & Rankbrain | Progressive Web Apps (PWA) | Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) | Featured Snippets | Schema – Structured Data Markup | Mobile-first Indexing | Position 0 | Brand Building | User Experience (UX) | People Also Ask …| Related Searches | Video Carousel | Voice Search Optimization | Technical SEO | Hyperlocal Marketing | Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) | Zero Click Search | Universal Search | Latent Semantic Indexing | Interstitials | Google Quick Answers Box | Knowledge Graph Optimization | Artificial Intelligence | Rich Cards | Write About Topic Clusters Not Keywords | Pillar Pages | Chatbots | User Intent Optimization | Expertise, Authority, Trustworthiness (EAT)
SEO Specialist Job Responsibilities & SEO Job Description – Top 50 Tasks
- Understand Client’s Marketing Objectives. Know the customer’s Search Marketing objectives and goals, industry competitive position, business niche, brand awareness objectives, and brand competitive advantages. Search marketing goals should be measurable, realistic, and achievable.
- Web Page Optimization. Execute On-Page SEO Mechanical Elements (H-tags, Images, Text Structure & Formatting) while utilizing skills in organizing website content into hierarchies. Integrate Keyword Phrases, Keyword Prominence, Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) keywords, Stem Keywords, and Keyword Synonyms.
- Keyword Research & Analysis. Perform Keyword discovery and prioritize Keyword Targeting Strategy for head keyword verticals and long-tailed keyword phrases. Identify new potential keyword targets with low competition, high profitability = high commercial value. Research alternative search terms and related questions.
- Keyword Mapping. Assign, match, or map keyword phrases to individual web pages to stay organized on specific topics. Keyword planning and implementation prevents keyword cannibalization problems later and strengthens pillar pages, and topic clusters.
- Attain Higher Google Rankings Visibility. Achieve Google top ten rankings positions for Money Keywords on home page, internal Landing Pages, for Published Articles, or for Blog Posts. Generate NEW keyword ranking momentum from obscurity to top of Google page one focusing on improving click-through rate, results in knowledge graph card, or in Youtube video carousel results.
- Focus on User Experience for Better Conversions. Optimize to improve website visitor experience, minimize Page Abandonment, Increase Page Views, Increase Visitor Dwell Time spent on site, Increase Click Through Rates (CTR) in search engine results pages (SERPS), Discuss the benefits of rich content or rich media.
- Diagnose Technical SEO Issues and Resolve. Canonicalization, Pagination, 404 errors, 301/302 Redirects, Crawl Errors, Broken Links, Server Errors, Duplicate Content, Robot.txt file, Incorrect Site maps, Duplicate Content, Missing Alt Attributes, Poor URL Structure, Slow Website Speed.
- Local SEO & Schema Markup. Conduct Local SEO marketing campaigns that include a 100% complete verified Google My Business profile, Google Maps listing, local City Pages, and a consistent NAP profile (name,address, phone). Work on Reputation Management and on acquiring Local Business Reviews utilizing tools and software such Getfivestars.com, Grade.us, or Trustpilot. Apply local schema markup, JSON-LD or micro data structured data. Get Local Business Citations.
- Comprehensive Website Audit. Examine, test, and diagnose for website visibility issues. Document Baselines and Benchmarks. Check Google Indexing Status, Efficiency of HTML code, Website Content Inventory, Moz’s Domain Authority Factors, Traffic Statistics, Keyword Targeting and Focus.
- Complete an Online Competitive Analysis. Reverse-Engineer Competitors’ Websites to determine strengths and weaknesses plus audience share. Compare backlink profiles. Use resources such as Spyfu.com, Compete.com, and Semrush.com.
- Know SEO Company Industry Trends. Keep informed on White Hat SEO Best Practices, and Google Algorithm Updates such as Rankbrain, Caffeine, Hummingbird, Panda, and Penguin. Know what works and what doesn’t work. Apply advanced expertise and knowledge to avoid spam. Follow Top SEO Blogs such as Search Engine Land, Search Engine Journal, Semrush Blog, Search Engine Watch, Moz.
- Ensure an SEO-Friendly Website. Guarantee a Search Engine Friendly Website for humans and search engines. First, eliminate technical SEO errors. Next, make sure you have indexable content that’s crawlable and not unintentionally blocking web robots. Ensure important content is easily findable and accessible.
- Copywriting Skills. Write Effective Headlines, Metatags, Paragraph Subheadings. Compose or write compelling unique Title Tags, Meta Descriptions, and H-tags to induce clicks in search results. Write in a natural language conversational tone used by searchers conducting voice search queries. Know your audience, write longer content and keep paragraphs short, use text formatting such as bold, lists, and italic, add photo images, avoid keyword stuffing.
- Generate New Content Ideas: Content Development. Coaching and Training for Writing Relevant, Original, Unique, Added-Value Content. Suggest consolidating thin content onto fewer stronger pages. Identify content gaps needing filled. Discuss Google’s quality raters algorithm and Google Quality Guidelines that yield content Expertise, Authority, Trustworthiness (EAT).
- Improve Existing Website Content. Be proficient in content editing for Readability. Proofread. Write Evergreen Content. Consolidate content. Update content to make it more easily scannable by humans by using subheadings. Leave plenty of space. Use Facts or statistics and Proper Attribution. Eliminate grammar errors. Use bullet points. Stay on topic. Pages should have genuine purpose, relevancy, and add value.
- Recommend Call-To-Action (CTA) Improvements. Emphasize benefits over features to boost Conversion Rates. Conduct conversion testing if needed. Create a sense of urgency to relieve customer pain points. Develop a Unique Selling Proposition. Consider A/B and multivariate testing.
- Make SEO Strategy Recommendations. Provide ongoing consulting and guidance for the big picture along with incremental detail changes to make better web pages. Propose digital marketing campaign strategy, tactics, and schedule timeline. Evaluate progress based upon actions implemented. Recommend third-party experts for specialized services when needed to create a topnotch digital marketing team.
- Continual Process Improvement. Using data metrics such as traffic measurement and call-to-action completions, continually drive targeted-traffic increases through all digital marketing channels improving content engagement. Push the envelope to stay ahead of the competition while minimizing risk – eg. follow elite SEO company industry experts. Keep moving and improving website content to beat competitors.
- Know Content Management Systems (CMS) and Digital Marketing Platforms. Understand operational features, benefits and disadvantages of popular Content Management Systems: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Concrete5, DotNetNuke, Hubspot.com, Marketo.com, Raventools.com, Webceo.com, Buzzsumo.com, Sproutsocial.com, Instagram.com, Linkedin.com. Know best website development strategies for various marketing types such as b2b, b2c, ecommerce, landing pages, sales funnels, lead generation.
- Web Re-design & Development. Have a fundamental understanding of Web Development and Website Design and redesign processes, terminology used by webmasters, and have basic HTML coding skills. Understand Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), Web-page Layout and Graphic Design elements.
- Ecommerce Systems. Understand key aspects of Ecommerce Websites, Shopping Carts, Online Payment Processing Services, Photo Galleries, Ecommerce Platforms and Storefront solutions, plus shipping options and tax regulations to comply with laws.
- Apply Advanced SEO Techniques. Use sophisticated methods to maximize search engine visibility leading to: Featured Snippets, Write Evergreen Content, Google Knowledge panel visibility, Google Quick Answers Box, Local Pack. Install HTML markup to support above objectives. Perform HTTPS Migration.
- Use SEO Tools and SEO Software Effectively. Interpret software data to make valued recommendations. Explain significance, tool purpose and types of SEO tools and software types. Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics, Header Response Checkers, Backlink Audit and Backlink Analysis, Site Crawling, Rank Tracking, Keyword Analysis. Favorite tools include Brightlocal.com, Moz Linkexplorer, Semrush.com, , Woorank.com, Ahrefs.com, Alexa.com, Gtmetrix.com, Screamingfrog.co.uk, Sproutsocial.com, Spyfu.com, SEOQuake, Ubersuggest.io, Hootsuite, Kwfinder.com, Yoast.com, SEObook.com, Neilpatel.com, and Backlinko.com. – some are paid and some are free.
- Internal Linking Structure Optimization. Use the best Internal Linking Practices to improve website usability. Ensure a crawlable link structure that distributes link equity to internal pages. Utilize Marketing Funnels, proper link attributes, and Breadcrumb navigation.
- Off-site SEO & Link Building Development.An Organic SEO Consultant advises clients how to develop a diversified inbound link profile using a variety of white-hat SEO link building strategies and techniques such as Blogger or Influencer Outreach, Content Marketing, and Infographics design and publishing. Resolve reputation management issues that damage online credibility. Work to earn and attract natural relevant links to key landing pages and linkable content (eg. Infographics). Pursue quality backlinks from authority sites.
- Website Functionality & Completeness. Make recommendations for efficient Global Navigation, Site Layout, Menu and Navigation Style, Footer area, Imagery, Color Scheme, Logo and Favicon if needed. Assist with requirements or specifications for visually appealing content that’s professionally presented.
- Be an Expert Troubleshooter. Examine multiple factors, potential problems, and issues to identify obstacles that could be negatively impacting search engine rankings over a period of time (eg. 6-12 months). Once solutions are found, measure progress points.
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). Agree on Key Performance Indicators criteria, not only for website performance but for evaluating SEO campaign effectiveness. Examples include Audience Share, Traffic Sources, Profits and ROI, Keywords reaching Google #1 – 3 position.
- Establish Naming Conventions. Determine naming conventions and Taxonomies for URL structure, Content Silos, Sub-directories or Sub-domains, File Names, Graphical Images, multi-media or video naming and titles, and user names. Assist in the domain name discovery process.
- Create the URL Map. The URL Map is the blueprint and road map document for Information Architecture portraying the Hierarchy of Content. An example includes the old website URLs versus the newly proposed website URLs when redesigning a website. This document would include the 301 redirect record.
- Focus on Mobile Search! Use Responsive Web Design and work on achieving higher in Mobile Search Results. Optimize content to rank well in voice search and in Google Mobile-first Index.
- Periodic Monthly SEO Reports. Prepare reports for ongoing SEO clients and for project progress reporting. Examples include Tracking Keyword Ranking Changes, Highest Traffic Landing Pages, Traffic Trends, Linking Domains and Incoming Links Acquired, Traffic Sources. Compare with online competitors.
- Optimize Tier 1 Social Media Accounts. Social media optimization includes Social Media Profiles such as Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Promote and broadcast client’s brand messages. Add social media sharing buttons and features to digital content.
- Social Media Strategy & Content Distribution. Know how to broadcast and promote content in digital marketing channels: video portals, social media, email newsletters, display advertising, public relations, blogger outreach, through industry influencers, photo image sharing, and via social media marketing.
- Branding Consultation and Branding Strategies for Online Marketing. Discuss the basics of branding your business online and how to build brand awareness through credibility and differentiation, authenticity, and visibility. Take a digital asset inventory to see where you stand vs. online competitors – ie. who has the most useful, informative content?
- Quality Control Quality Assurance. Quality control all digital marketing team’s output. Confirm tasks are successfully completed based upon roles and responsibilities agreed upon, assuring full accountability and execution of plans. QC after a new site launch. Remove web spam. Assist with Google penalty recovery.
- Website Security. Protect client in Website Security Issues. Be proactive. Consider SSL certificate and https:// secure website protocol. Monitor Google Search Console communications for malware or Spam notifications. Have secure logins and strong passwords. Keep software up-to-date. Make regular website backups.
- Web Hosting & Domain. Review Web Hosting Company, Domain renewal date, and Domain Registrar for quality issues. Ensure the client is fully in control and understands their website domain status and DNS settings. Recommend a new web host if website speed load time is slower than 3 seconds.
- Digital Marketing Team Support. Collaborate effectively with client’s Digital Marketing Team and be an effective contributor. Team members commonly include the business owner, web designer or webmaster, marketing agency, social media team, and possibly a copywriter or freelancer. Participate in meetings.
- Paid Search Advertising. Be proficient in assessing Client needs for Paid Search Advertising, Pay-per-click, PPC, Adwords. Make keyword recommendations for online advertising campaigns similar to a full service advertising agency.
- Advantages and Benefits of SEO. Inform the client of the numerous benefits of SEO explaining why this marketing strategy builds equity and pays off (ie. high return on investment) in the long-term, versus paid advertising or offline advertising marketing models that do not build equity and deliver lasting returns.
- Online Marketing Demonstrations. Conduct live online demonstrations in areas where internet marketing firms heavily impact client rankings. Train and educate. Show and tell (both.) Conduct monthly SEO meetings, client presentations, work reviews, give proof, personal meetings and conference calls.
- Fix Old Website vs. Build a New Website Analysis. Advice customer on what makes the most business sense regarding where they are today versus where they need to be in the future – 1-5 years out. Are they on track? Are they investing in the right Digital Marketing Platforms?
- Keep SEO Budget on Track. Manage campaign budget expenses, client on-boarding, help establish priorities, redirect resources if necessary, perform project management, document all website changes.
- Set Realistic Expectations. Under Promise and Over Deliver! Meet all contractual obligations. Establish and communicate realistic work completion timelines and schedules. Have a comprehensive SEO agreement spelling out obligations to prevent misinterpretations.
- Customer Communications. Have the ability to explain complex concepts and interrelated concepts at client’s knowledge level without using excessive industry buzz terms, answer questions, training and coaching. Explain key concepts multiple times until they understand the significance.
- Play Both Offense and Defense. Communicate where new opportunities are by taking a leadership role, and, let the client know where they’re vulnerable (eg. buy Exact Match Domain Names before others do, Up-and-coming Competitors likely to soon surpass them in SERPs). Let the customer know if they should be directing marketing investment dollars into other areas such as SEO Copy Writing, Content Creation, or Social Media. Rationalization.
- Domain Ownership. Consult on how to best utilize client-owned domains under their ownership. Does it make sense to combine or consolidate multiple websites into one killer website? Consult on how to handle multiple business locations.
- Strategic Planning. Plan ahead. Take marketing steps in logical order. Start by tackling the most difficult work first, then do the campaign tweeking later using Web Analytics Data.
- SEO Guarantee. DO NOT make SEO Guarantees for keyword rankings. Only guarantee what’s in your direct control. Use past experience to approximate future results and scenarios.
Conducting an SEO tactics and strategies consultation meeting onsite or via teleconference is an excellent starting point for business owners to learn more about improving website performance and gaining online visibility.
SEO Consultant Job Description
SEO Specialists are the front-line workers providing not only consulting but hands-on internet marketing fulfillment services, month-to-month, to enable business owners to boost their company online visibility online visibility for all marketing channels, with the end result being earning more targeted search engine traffic and business leads.
Optimizing Digital Marketing Channels Includes:
- Marketing Channels include optimizing websites and Blog, Video, Display Advertising, Email Marketing, Social Media, Paid Search Advertising.
- Publishing Useful, Relevant, Unique, Linkable Content
- Proper use of Internal Linking Practices to Direct Traffic
- Using all On-site and Off-site Search Engine Optimization Techniques
- Publishing Sharable Articles and then Continally Promoting Content
- Cross-Channel Marketing or Multi-Channel Marketing and Promotion
- Via Earning Incoming Editorial Links from Webmasters
- Through Ongoing Incremental Improvements and Measured Adjustments
Frequently Asked Questions About What is an SEO Expert?
What is your experience as an SEO expert? What campaigns have you personally managed?
What does an SEO expert do? Read our Top 50 tasks list above to answer this question. Kevin Yeaman has personally managed over 45 SEO Campaigns and WordPress website building projects and has been 100% accountable for search engine optimization campaigns and full project management responsibility on many different marketing verticals, with various levels of online competitiveness.
An advanced SEO expert should have at least 10,000+ hours of diverse industry experience. Kevin has over 15,000 hours of SEO + WordPress marketing campaigns and project experience for Colorado companies.
When considering hiring an SEO Consultant or Specialist, realize the field of knowledge is diverse, sophisticated, and dynamic requiring constant daily engagement and hands-on activity.
What is an SEO Marketing Consultant?
In short, SEO marketing consultants are hired by business owners to perform many different types of digital marketing services to help them solve the problem of how to get found online successfully through free search engine traffic.
Business owners want:
- New customers to walk in the door of their local business.
- Their websites to become valuable self-marketing tools and important financial assets.
- More business and more profit due to satisfying customers’ needs and wants doing a better job then their competition.
- More search engine traffic and click throughs with more CTA completions.
- They want their website to professionally convey their company brand message.
- To be treated honestly and to be able to trust a digital marketing specialist to do the job they’re paid for while the owner is busy taking care of customers, running their business, and managing employees.
What is a Search Engine Friendly Website?
A primary job responsibility, foundation, and ground zero skill-set for SEO consultants is to know how to create an SEO Friendly Website! that both Google and their customers come back to.
If a website isn’t at minimum ‘search engine friendly’ it’s doomed to permanent underachievement for being able to earn free, or organic, search engine traffic.
As an added bonus, paid search advertising programs such as Adwords are more effective when connected to a search engine friendly website, and likely will achieve a higher Google Quality Score.
What's better: Outsource SEO Services; Hire an In-House Full-time Employee; or Full-Service Marketing Agency?
Outsource or Hire a Full-Time Employee In-House?
Company owners can choose to either hire employees as a full-time inside marketing team for handling SEO tasks and duties, or outsource project required skills to freelancers, agencies, or consultants for advice, planning, strategy, and execution.
I personally believe a combination or hybrid approach is best. For instance, have the SEO train or coach staff on writing compelling content using provided keyword research.
Whether your expert is an employee or outsourced, applying advanced skills in interrelated digital marketing disciplines pays off big time!