What Does An SEO Consultant Do?What does an SEO Specialist do: SEO Job Description, Duties, Responsibilities, Tasks, Requirements, Job Profile
SEO Consultant Job Description | What does an SEO Consultant do?
A search engine optimization consultant (or SEO consultant) is a job that analyzes and reviews websites and their incoming links in order to provide expert advice, guidance, and recommendations to business owners seeking to earn more natural search engine traffic and higher ranking positions.
The job description of an SEO Consultant has transformed into needing upgraded skills. With the focus on a Holistic SEO systems and integrated approach, there’s a new set of job deliverables focusing on creating better content experiences for users. The SEO Consultant job description definition and bio comprises extensive strategic, analytical, and tactical skills requiring higher-level thinking and actions involving social media, content quality scoring, high competition, and full understanding of ongoing search engine updates implications.
Organic SEO Consulting Duties and Responsibilities
SEO consulting duties, responsibilities, tasks and job descriptions now cover a dynamic spectrum of marketing disciplines in varied marketing channels functioning with interrelated relationships. What has remained constant over time are continuing needs to: achieve higher Google search engine rankings, get more content discovered, create lasting results, and improve conversion rates, all-while operating in a continual onslaught of increased competition.
Examples of new terminologies and lingo creeping into the SEO Job Description and being written about in industry blogs include sophisticated disciplines such as Progressive Web Apps (PWA) | Conversion Rate Optimization | Big Data | Website Security | Website Speed | Live Streaming | Cloud Computing | Information Architecture | Influencer Marketing | Hyperlocal Marketing | Accelerated Mobile Pages | Marketing Automation | Latent Semantic Indexing | Interstitials | Voice Search Queries | Google Quick Answers Box | Knowledge Panel | Ad Retargeting | Mobile First Indexing | Featured Snippets | Artificial Intelligence | Machine Learning | Mobile User Experience | Schema – Structured Data Markup | RankBrain | Wearables | The Internet of Things| Buy Buttons | Messaging App | Native Advertising |
SEO Specialist Job Responsibilities & SEO Job Description – Top 50 Tasks
- Understand Client’s Marketing Objectives. Know the customer’s Search Marketing objectives and goals, industry competitive position, business niche, products and important brand attributes.
- Web Page Optimization. Execute On-Page SEO Mechanical Elements (H-tags, Images, Text Structure & Formatting) while utilizing the skills of organizing website content. Integrate Keyword Phrases, Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) keywords, Stem Keywords, and Keyword Synonyms.
- Keyword Research & Analysis. Perform Keyword discovery and prioritize Keyword Targeting Strategy for head keyword verticals and long-tailed keyword phrases. Identify new potential keyword targets with low competition, high profitability = high commercial value, and high monthly search volumes.
- Keyword Mapping. Assign or Map keywords to individual web pages. Keyword planning and implementation prevents keyword cannibalization problems later and strengthens content silos.
- Get Higher Google Rankings. Attain multiple Google top ten rankings positions for Money Keywords on home page, internal Landing Pages, for Published Articles, or for Blog Posts.
- Focus on User Experience. Optimize to improve website visitor experience to Minimize Page Abandonment, Increase Page Views, Increase Visitor Dwell Time spent on site, and Increase Click Through Rates (CTR) in search engine results pages (SERPS).
- Diagnose Technical SEO Issues and Resolve. Canonicalization, Pagination, 404 errors, 301/302 Redirects, Crawl Errors, Broken Links, Server Errors, Duplicate Content, Robot.txt file, Incorrect Site maps, Duplicate Content, Missing Alt Attributes, Poor URL Structure, Slow Website Speed.
- Local SEO. Conduct Local SEO marketing campaigns that include a 100% complete verified Google My Business profile, Google Maps listing, local City Pages, and a consistent NAP profile (name,address, phone). Work on Reputation Management and on acquiring Local Business Reviews utilizing tools and software such Getfivestars.com, Grade.us, or Trustpilot. Apply Local Structured Data Schema Markup. Get Local Business Citations.
- Comprehensive Website Audit. Examine, test, and diagnose for website visibility issues. Document Baselines and Benchmarks. Check Google Indexing Status, Efficiency of HTML code, Website Content Inventory, Moz’s Domain Authority Factors, Traffic Statistics, Keyword Targeting and Focus.
- Complete an Online Competitive Analysis. Reverse-Engineer Competitors’ Websites to determine strengths and weaknesses plus audience share. Compare backlink profiles. Use resources such as Spyfu.com, Compete.com, and Semrush.com.
- Know SEO Company Industry Trends. Keep informed on SEO Best Practices, and Google Algorithm Updates such as Rankbrain, Caffeine, Hummingbird, Panda, and Penguin. Know what works and what doesn’t work. Show advanced expertise, knowledge, and intuition on what spam is’ in order to avoid it.
- Ensure an SEO-Friendly Website. Guarantee a Search Engine Friendly Website for humans and search engines. First, eliminate technical SEO errors. Next, make sure you have indexable content that’s crawlable and not unintentionally blocking web robots. Ensure important content is easily findable and accessible.
- Copywriting Skills. Write Effective Headlines, Metatags, Paragraph Subheadings. Compose or write compelling unique Title Tags, Meta Descriptions, and H-tags to induce clicks in search results. Write in a natural language conversational tone used by searchers conducting voice search queries.
- Generate New Content Ideas: Content Development. Coaching and Training for Writing Relevant, Original, Unique, Added-Value Content. Suggest consolidating thin content onto fewer stronger pages. Identify content gaps needing filled.
- Improve Existing Website Content. Be proficient in content editing for Readability. Proofread. Write Evergreen Content. Update content to make it scannable by using subheadings. Leave plenty of space. Use Facts or statistics and Proper Attribution. Eliminate grammar errors. Use bullet points. Stay on topic. Pages should have genuine purpose, relevancy, and add value.
- Recommend Call-To-Action (CTA) Improvements. Emphasize benefits over features to boost Conversion Rates. Create a sense of urgency and relieve customer pain points. Develop a Unique Selling Proposition. Consider A/B and multivariate testing.
- Make SEO Recommendations. Provide ongoing consulting and guidance for incremental changes to make better web pages. Propose digital marketing campaign strategy and tactics priorities. Evaluate progress based upon actions taken. Recommend third-party experts for specialized services.
- Continual Process Improvement. Using data metrics such as traffic measurement and call-to-action completions, continually drive targeted-traffic increases through all digital marketing channels improving content engagement. Push the envelope to stay ahead of the competition while minimizing risk – eg. follow elite SEO company industry experts. Keep moving and improving website content to beat competitors.
- Know Content Management Systems (CMS). Understand operational features, benefits and disadvantages of popular Content Management Systems: WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Concrete5, DotNetNuke.
- Web Design & Development. Have a general understanding of Web Development/Web Design processes, terminology, and have basic HTML coding skills. Understand Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), Web-page Layout and Graphic Design elements.
- Ecommerce Systems. Understand key aspects of Ecommerce Websites, Shopping Carts, Online Payment Processing Services, Photo Galleries, Ecommerce Platforms and Storefront solutions, plus shipping options and tax regulations to comply with laws.
- Apply Advanced SEO Techniques. Use sophisticated methods to maximize search engine visibility leading to: Featured Snippets, Rich Content, Google Knowledge panel visibility, Google Quick Answers Box, Local Pack. Install HTML markup to support above objectives.
- Use SEO Tools Effectively. Interpret data and explain significance. Google Webmaster Tools, Google Analytics, bounce rate, crawl errors, SEO Queries, Impressions. Favorite tools include Noblesamurai.com, Opensiteexplorer.com, Majesticseo.com, Ahrefs.com, Alexa.com, Moz.com, Gtmetrix.com, Screamingfrog.co.uk, Sproutsocial.com, Spyfu.com, Ubersuggest.io
- Internal Linking Structure Optimization. Use the best Internal Linking Practices to improve website usability and utilize Marketing Funnels, such as using Breadcrumb navigation.
- Off-site SEO. For Organic SEO rankings develop a diversified inbound link profile knowing a variety of legitimate link building strategies such as Blogger or Influencer Outreach. Earn or attract natural relevant links to key landing pages and linkable content (eg. Infographics). Pursue quality backlinks from authority sites.
- Website Functionality & Completeness. Make recommendations for efficient Global Navigation, Site Layout, Menu and Navigation Style, Footer area, Imagery, Color Scheme, Logo and Favicon if needed. Assist with requirements or specifications for visually appealing content that’s professionally presented.
- Be an Expert Troubleshooter. Examine multiple factors, potential problems, and issues to identify obstacles that could be negatively impacting search engine rankings over a period of time (eg. 6-12 months). Once solutions are found, measure progress points.
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs). Agree on Key Performance Indicators criteria, not only for website performance but for evaluating SEO campaign effectiveness. Examples include Audience Share, Traffic Sources, Profits and ROI, Keywords reaching Google #1 – 3 position.
- Establish Naming Conventions. Determine naming conventions and Taxonomies for URL structure, Content Silos, Sub-directories or Sub-domains, File Names, Graphical Images, multi-media or video naming and titles, and user names. Assist in the domain name discovery process.
- Create the URL Map. The URL Map is the blueprint and road map document for Information Architecture portraying the Hierarchy of Content. An example includes the old website URLs versus the newly proposed website URLs when redesigning a website. This document would include the 301 redirect record.
- Focus on Mobile Search! Use Responsive Web Design and work on achieving higher in Mobile Search Results. Optimize content to rank well in voice search and in Google Mobile-first Index.
- Periodic Monthly SEO Reports. Prepare reports for ongoing SEO clients and for project progress reporting. Examples include Tracking Keyword Ranking Changes, Highest Traffic Landing Pages, Traffic Trends, Linking Domains and Incoming Links Acquired, Traffic Sources. Compare with online competitors.
- Optimize Tier 1 Social Media Accounts. Social media optimization includes Social Media Profiles such as Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Promote and broadcast client’s brand messages. Add social media sharing buttons and features to digital content.
- Content Distribution. Know how to broadcast and promote content in digital marketing channels: video portals, social media, email newsletters, display advertising, public relations, blogging, through industry influencers, photo image sharing.
- Branding Consultation. Discuss the basics of branding your business online along with building brand awareness, credibility, authenticity, and visibility online. Take a Digital Asset Inventory.
- Quality Control. Quality control the digital marketing team’s output. Confirm tasks are successfully completed based upon roles and responsibilities agreed upon, assuring full accountability and execution of plans. As an example: QC after a new site launch.
- Website Security. Protect client in Website Security Issues. Be proactive. Consider SSL certificate and https:// secure website protocol. Monitor Google Search Console communications for malware or Spam notifications. Have secure logins and strong passwords. Keep software up-to-date. Make regular website backups.
- Web Hosting & Domain. Review Web Hosting, Domain renewal, and Domain Registrar status. Make recommendations for an effective and efficient web hosting company and ensure the client is fully in control and enlightened.
- Digital Marketing Team Support. Collaborate effectively with client’s Digital Marketing Team and be an effective contributor. Team members commonly include the business owner, web designer or webmaster, marketing agency, social media team, and possibly a copywriter or freelancer. Participate in meetings.
- Paid Search Advertising. Be proficient in assessing Client needs for Paid Search Advertising, Pay-per-click, PPC, Adwords. Make keyword recommendations for online advertising campaigns.
- Advantages and Benefits of SEO. Inform the client of the numerous benefits of SEO explaining why this marketing strategy builds equity and pays off (ie. high return on investment) in the long-term, versus paid advertising or offline advertising marketing models that do not build equity and deliver lasting returns.
- Online Marketing Demonstrations. Conduct live online demos on all areas of internet marketing affecting the client. Train and educate. Be able to conduct monthly SEO meetings, client presentations, work reviews, personal meetings and conference calls. Proof demonstrations.
- Fix Old Website vs. Build a New Website Analysis. Advice customer on what makes the most business sense regarding where they are today versus where they need to be in the future – 1-5 years out. Are they on track? Are they investing in the right Digital Marketing Platforms?
- Keep SEO Budget on Track. Manage campaign budget expenses, help establish priorities, redirect resources if necessary, perform project management, document all website changes.
- Set Realistic Expectations. Under Promise and Over Deliver! Meet all contractual obligations. Establish and communicate realistic work completion timelines and schedules. Have a comprehensive SEO agreement spelling out obligations to prevent misinterpretations.
- Customer Communications. Have the ability to explain complex concepts and interrelated concepts at client’s knowledge level without using excessive industry buzz terms, answer questions, training and coaching. Explain key concepts multiple times until they understand the significance.
- Play Both Offense and Defense. Communicate where new opportunities are by taking a leadership role, and, let the client know where they’re vulnerable (eg. buy Exact Match Domain Names before others do, Up-and-coming Competitors likely to soon surpass them in SERPs). Let the customer know if they should be directing marketing investment dollars into other areas such as SEO Copy Writing, Content Creation, or Social Media. Rationalization.
- Domain Ownership. Consult on how to best utilize client-owned domains under their ownership. Does it make sense to combine or consolidate multiple websites into one killer website? Consult on how to handle multiple business locations.
- Strategic Planning. Plan ahead. Take marketing steps in logical order. Start by tackling the most difficult work first, then do the campaign tweeking later using Web Analytics Data.
- SEO Guarantee. DO NOT make SEO Guarantees for keyword rankings. Only guarantee what’s in your direct control. Use past experience to approximate future results and scenarios.
Conducting an SEO tactics and strategies meeting onsite or via teleconference is an excellent starting point for business owners to learn more about improving website performance and gaining online visibility.
SEO Consultant Job Description and Responsibilities
Job Responsibilities, Tasks, Duties for SEO Professionals
Frequently Asked Questions About What is an SEO Expert?
What is your experience in SEO? What campaigns have you personally managed?
Ask about past experience personally being fully accountable for managing search engine optimization campaigns in multiple market verticals for different levels of online competitiveness.
Ask about clients’ search results before and after Google Panda and Penguin updates. An advanced SEO expert should have at least 10,000+ hours of diverse industry experience.
When considering hiring an SEO Consultant or Specialist, realize the field of knowledge is diverse, sophisticated, and dynamic requiring constant daily engagement.
What do SEO companies do exactly?
Read the above Top 50 Tasks list for a list of common job duties and responsibilities.
In short, they’re hired by business owners to perform many different types of digital marketing services, and also advise on how to get business website found online.
Business owners want:
- New customers to walk in the door of their local business.
- Their websites to become valuable self-marketing tools and important financial assets.
- More business and more profit due to satisfying customers’ needs and wants doing a better job then their competition.
- More search engine traffic and click throughs with more CTA completions.
- They want their website to professionally convey their company brand message.
- To be treated honestly and to be able to trust a digital marketing specialist to do the job they’re paid for while the owner is busy taking care of customers, running their business, and managing employees.
What is a Search Engine Friendly Website?
A primary job responsibility, foundation, and ground zero skill-set for SEO consultants is to know how to create an SEO Friendly Website! that both Google and their customers come back to.
If a website isn’t at minimum ‘search engine friendly’ it’s doomed to permanent underachievement for being able to earn free, or organic, search engine traffic.
As an added bonus, paid search advertising programs such as Adwords are more effective when connected to a search engine friendly website, and likely will achieve a higher Google Quality Score.
What's better: Outsource SEO Services; Hire an In-House Full-time Employee; or Full-Service Marketing Agency?
Outsource or Hire a Full-Time Employee In-House?
Company owners can choose to either hire employees as a full-time inside marketing team for handling SEO tasks and duties, or outsource project required skills to freelancers, agencies, or consultants for advice, planning, strategy, and execution.
I personally believe a combination or hybrid approach is best. For instance, have the SEO train or coach staff on writing compelling content using provided keyword research.
Whether your expert is an employee or outsourced, applying advanced skills in interrelated digital marketing disciplines pays off big time!
What SEO Specialists Do? They Bring In Natural Search Engine Traffic.
SEO Specialists are the front-line workers providing not only consulting but hands-on internet marketing fulfillment services to enable business owners to boost their company website and digital marketing channels productivity with the end result of earning more targeted natural search engine traffic through optimization of digital assets and successful plan execution.
Optimizing Digital Marketing Channels includes:
- Marketing Channels include optimizing websites and Blog, Video, Display Advertising, Email Marketing, Social Media, Paid Search Advertising.
- Publishing Useful, Relevant, Unique, Linkable Content
- Proper use of Internal Linking Practices to Direct Traffic
- Using all On-site and Off-site Search Engine Optimization Techniques
- Publishing Sharable Articles and then Continally Promoting Content
- Cross-Channel Marketing or Multi-Channel Marketing and Promotion
- Via Earning Incoming Editorial Links from Webmasters
- Through Ongoing Incremental Improvements and Measured Adjustments